Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 2 May 4

Another beautiful sunny day to travel.  The fields of Illinois are beginning to sprout green which gives them a strange almost impressionistic appearance. As soon as we crossed into Indiana the land became hilly, gentle curves to the earth and a fresh greenness everywhere.

Traveling I-70 in Ohio, flanked on either side by suburban homes, I wondered about "average" daily life. Each family is unique in its coming and goings, dreams yet to be realized, and fantasies fallen away. Do they ever look up from playing in the yard, or weeding the garden and wonder where everyone is going at such a speed. Do other drivers on the highway look at these homes and send up a brief prayer (as I did) for the inhabitants, or wonder if they are making it in this fragile economy? How small our personal worlds are? What a narrow focus we have! What is happening in the lives of the millions of human beings who share our universe? How do my decisions, actions and choices impact their lives?

We stopped at a truck stop for gas and were tempted by an old fashioned hot dog bar, we did not resist and thoroughly enjoyed a hot dog with mustard, onion and relish - the first in probably ten years! I trust it didn't wreck my diet!

Traveling through the treelined hills of Ohio I was dive bombed by my first butterfly of summer, a yellow swallow tail, I think, it wasn't hurt and flew off oblivious.

Making our way through Wheeling West Virginia we arrived in Pennsylvania where we stopped for the night. It was a great travel day and blessedly uneventful. Tomorrow we head to Maryland where we will reacquaint ourselves with our grand-daughter (and of course our kids) we are looking forward to our  visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment