Tuesday, March 13, 2012

MorningLight

I sit in the morning light sipping coffee and wondering what the day will bring. I am not by nature a morning person but entering the world before dawn is gift. When I wake up early and settle myself in my chair, or step out on the balcony for a fresh breath of morning air I feel alive. I experience the bliss of solitude. The day will begin all too quickly and the opportunity to feel my oneness with the universe will be lost in the requests of the many.


I treasure time for reflection, but it is rarely available. I realize however much I may claim otherwise, it is mainly because I don't guard the opportunities offered me.  I have tried to understand why this is. The pull of the world around always seems to attract my attention even though I claim a desire for solitude. Why is that I choose the marketplace over the desert?


It is no doubt my ego that thrust me into the swirl and tumble of daily activity. A sense of self importance that believes I need to be talking, acting, doing for the good of humanity. Surely my contribution to society will make the world a better place? It just might be that my withdrawal might contribute something of more value. If I took the time to quiet my spirit I might be better able to listen and intuit the true needs of those around me.


For years I have pursued the theme of the "empty bowl" after hearing the Zen "Overflowing Tea" story. I resemble the university professor who came to the Master Nan-in seeking wisdom, but was too full of himself to receive anything from the great Master. I have reflected on the willingness of  the monk to live each day  on whatever others might place into the begging bowl  and accept that what is received is enough.


Everyday my bowl is filled to overflowing with the blessings that are poured into my life of word and action. I have an abundance of truth and wisdom and life's teaching laid at my feet everyday and still I am not satisfied, I continue to look for more. My cup is overflowing and I have not yet learned to empty myself so that I can be filled.


When I rise early in the morning I know what it is to welcome the world as an "empty bowl" but in just a few seconds I filled it to overflowing. Maybe today I will leave space for the gifts of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment